Monday, March 8, 2010

Monday Munchies: Roberta's Good Soup (my version)

Okay, so there is a book called "The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook" published in 1978 that my mom has had since I was little.  She more recently found me my own personal copy from the thrift store, which has become one of my most treasured cookbooks.  There is a recipe in it called Roberta's Good Soup.  It is a VERY simple recipe, and the ingredients are even MORE simple.  I have modified the spices a bit to my liking, but the general ingredients remain the same.  It is really one of those kinds of soups where you can do just about ANYTHING to it, adding veggies or beans or whatever you feel like at the time.  I like to call it my own "stone soup" .  Don't judge this recipe by its "cover" so to speak, if my mom had not made this for me as a child I probably wouldn't have given it a second glance.  Try it out, I am sure it will surprise you!  If I had to compare the taste, I would have to say it has a kind of "chicken soupy" flavor.


Roberta's Good Soup (my version)

1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 cup TVP
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 cup Brewers Yeast
2 Tbsp margarine
1/2 bag egg noodles (2-3 cups dry noodles)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
about 1 gallon water

Saute onion in 3 tablespoons oil in large pot. 
Add water (more or less depending on how much you want to make, as long as it is enough to cook the noodles)
Add tvp and boil for 5 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and boil till noodles are done and TVP is soft.
Taste test it and add extra spices to your liking.  I find I ALWAYS add more than the recipe, but start with the basics and work from there!
Also,  this is the sort of soup that tastes better the longer it sets, so it makes a great soup for lunch the day after you cook it.
Serve with saltines, or warm bread!

 
 


Hope you like it as much as I do!

<3<3 Laci <3<3






2 Sweet Talkers:

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe! It sounds yummy and looks yummy too....I will have to try it!

Laci Jo said...

thanks! It IS yummy! I just had the rest of it for lunch mmmmmm!