Tuesday, January 4, 2011

MOnday Munchies (a little late :) Portobella Burgers

THIS sandwich/burger is to DIE for!!!!
I am not a huge fan of cooked mushroom anything, but I thought I would try it out on myself and the family... needless to say, it was awesome! I had it on a whole wheat organic bun with tomato, mixed greens, a little ketchup, and slices of avacado) It was so good that my one year old actually took it out of her bread and ate it by itself and didnt even eat the bread...(and she LOVES bread!) I will be making this again tomorrow because I have lots of leftover ingredients, AND because I already want it again :) Thought I would share this keeper with the world! YUUUM!


½ cup ground flax seed
¼ cup hemp seeds
2 Tbsp fresh-chopped parsley
½ tsp fresh chopped thyme ( I use about a tsp of dried when I cant get fresh)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1½ Tbsp braggs aminos
2 cloves minced garlic garlic
½ tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp stone ground mustard
¼ cup chopped walnut pieces
2 medium portobello mushrooms chopped into bite size pieces


In a food processor:
Add flax, hemp, parsley, thyme, oil, braggs, garlic, black pepper, and mustard and process until well blended.  stop and add in the walnuts and mushrooms. (make sure that they are already well chopped before hand or you will end up chopping them into oblivion in the processor... the idea is to keep the nuts and mushrooms in the mix a little chunky for texture..) Pulse a few times in the processor and then mix with a spoon for good measure.   Scrape mix into a bowl.   Take about 3 tablespoons (more or less for size preference) and roll into a ball, and flatten on a heated skillet to make a patty.  Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes on each side till lightly browned and heated all the way through.  patties will never fully solidify on the inside but the creamy texture is DELICIOUS none the less!  serve on a toasted whole wheat bun spread with mayo of your choice, tomatoes, mixed greens, and a few slices of avocado.  I also add about a teaspoon of ketchup :)

Enjoy! 

0 Sweet Talkers: