Monday, April 19, 2010

Monday Munchies: Okonomiyaki (Japanese pancake/omlette)

This recipe was first introduced to me by my mother when I was a little girl.  It was around the same time had a Japanese exchange student living with us.  It was one of the best memories of my childhood.  The students mother HAND-STITCHED kimonos for  me and my mom (which as a 26 year old I STILL have), and we were sent lots of fun Japanese candies and treats and rice crackers as well.  This recipe, (along with a little Japanese song I learned when I was only 4 or 5) always reminds me of that fun time.  I am NOT a big fan of cabbage by any means, but in this instance it is not only necessary but worth it!  Okonomiyaki is basically the Japanese version of a pancake or a pizza, as you can find unlimited ways to prepare it via ingredients.  Here is a link that tells a bit more about this savory treat!

Try this little piece of Japan from me to you!



Okonomiyaki
(Makes ONE serving, or 1-3 pancakes depending on how big you make them)

1/2 cup chopped bacon or ham
 (I have always used ham, but of course bacon is yummy as well)
1/4 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
3/4 shredded cabbage
1 tsp baking powder
4 Tablespoons flour
1/6 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped green onion
3 tablespoons water
1 egg

Simply mix all ingredients together in a big bowl as you would pancake batter, scoop in 1/2 cup increments (or one big pancake) on a frying pan with a little butter or oil.  Flip halfway through cooking to cook other side.  Serve with ketchup (for the kids) or MY personal favorite, a little bit of MAYO.  Trust me its SOOOOOOOOOOOO good!  And remember, you can throw whatever you want into this, from shrimp to cheese so get crazy and see what wonderful things you can come up with!

Enjoy!

<3<3 Laci <3<3




3 Sweet Talkers:

Raige Creations said...

This sounds easy and GOOD! of course anything with bacon in it must be good, right?

eyeshoot said...

I had this in London many years ago at a restaurant where they cooked right in front of you! It was very memorable.....Somehow when in Japan a couple of years ago I didn't get around to having another! Your recipe sounds fun so I might give it a go.

Unknown said...

Nice! Love this! A Must try!