Saturday, May 8, 2010

Behind the Curtain: VARIATION


My very first official Behind The Curtain shop feature highlights the whimsical talents of variation, a lovely shop full of darling little handmade dolls.    Feel free to check it out and show some love!
\
                       handmade spring pin brooch corsage (click on pic for source)

What is your craft?

Little beaded doll pendant/charms made from vintage beads

What does your workspace look like?

Messy-organized. It has a logic of its own.

Explain your creative process.

I am influenced and inspired by anyone or anything that makes me say, "I want to be a part of that!" I've always been inspired by the amazing work I see from many, many artists and designers, past and present, across all mediums. I love work that introduces me to new forms and methods of creating, and I'm inspired by excellent craftsmanship (something I aspire to). Once I am inspired, it's just a matter of experimenting with materials -- trial and error, so to speak.

How did you become an artist?

I don't consider myself an "artist." I'm just someone who has always had crafty hobbies or side-projects.

What skills (any skills, not just crafty ones) do you wish you knew more about?

I wish I had better promotional skills.


                           little handmade doll ornament charm pendant (click on pic for source)

What is your favorite snack/meal to eat while crafting?

I don't eat when crafting. It gets too messy and I don't want to soil the items I'm making to sell. Sometimes I chew gum, if that counts.

What tv show, cd, or movie do you like to watch or listen to while crafting?

I don't own a tv. I do listen to podcasts and sometimes various cds.


                              post card - Bead Doll - original photo (click on pic for source)

What is the best piece of advice you have been given (or have) for successful selling and marketing online?

Contribute to Etsy teams and participate in forums. It's great to network with other sellers -- to share ideas, get feedback, and the occasional sale.

What are your favorite things about selling on etsy?

The whole process. I love making the items, photographing them, listing them, making a sale, interacting with customers and fellow crafters. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of WORK! But there's a lot of satisfaction that comes from it.

Goals for 2010:

Venture into new items to feature in my shop. Probably paper goods.

What is the item you love the best in your shop?

She has a hand-painted face and I crocheted her pony tails.

                                    little handmade doll ornament charm pendant (click on pic for source)


One or two fun random facts about yourself?

I have an identical twin who also likes to create things! ;-)

 ********************************************************

Thanks you so much for allowing my to do this feature on your sweet little shop!  I wish you much success in the future!


Untill next time....

7 Sweet Talkers:

sassypackrat said...

Great interview! Love the little beaded dolls. They've got a vintage feel which I adore.

Zemphira ~ Scatter Art. said...

the dolls are so cute!!

Raige Creations said...

these things are just so cute! LOVE the little beaded legs!

variation.etsy.com said...

Wow! You make me look so good! Thanks again for the blog feature. Happy crafting everyone!

cycleogical said...

Great prices on these dolls. The beads are exquisite!

Christopher said...

These bead guys are cute. I love the photos, too.

Unknown said...

Sooo adorable! Thanks for introducing us to this seller.